Here’s a comprehensive checklist for ex-pats planning to move to a new house in Dubai in 2023:
- Research Moving Companies: Start by researching and shortlisting a few reputable house-moving companies in Dubai. Check online reviews, ask for referrals, and get quotes from at least three companies.
- Schedule the Move: Decide on a move-in date and inform the moving company well in advance. Keep in mind that weekends and holidays are usually busier and more expensive.
- Notify Landlord: If you’re renting, inform your landlord or property manager about your move-out date and ask about any necessary procedures or requirements.
- Arrange for Utilities: Contact your utility providers (electricity, water, gas, internet, cable) to inform them about your move and schedule disconnection and reconnection at your new address.
- Change of Address: Notify your bank, credit card companies, insurance providers, government agencies, and other relevant organizations about your change of address.
- Obtain Required Documents: Check if you need to obtain any documents such as a no-objection certificate (NOC) from your employer, a tenancy contract, or an Ejari certificate.
- Secure Valuables: Pack and secure your valuables, important documents, and electronics separately. Keep them with you during the move.
- Declutter: Before packing, declutter your home and get rid of any items you no longer need or use. Consider donating or selling items that are in good condition.
- Pack Efficiently: Pack your belongings room by room, label boxes, and use appropriate packing materials. Pack fragile items with extra care and consider hiring professionals for delicate items.
- Moving Day: Be present on a moving day and supervise the process. Keep an inventory of your items and check off each item as it’s loaded onto the truck. Keep your phone charged and the moving company’s contact details handy.
- Inspect New Home: Before moving in, inspect your new home and make sure everything is in order. Check for any damages or defects and inform your landlord or property manager.
- Unpack: Start unpacking as soon as possible and organize your belongings according to priority. Consider hiring professionals to help you unpack and set up furniture.
- Settle In: Once you’ve unpacked and set up your new home, take some time to explore your new neighborhood, meet your neighbors, and get familiar with your new surroundings.
By following this checklist, you can ensure a smooth and stress-free move to your new home in Dubai.