In women of reproductive age, uterine fibroid causes bleeding and pain symptoms that can negatively affect various aspects of a woman’s life. Did you know, 75 % of women are expected to experience uterine fibroids, also known as myomas, at some point in their lives?
If you have fibroids, fibroid removal surgery might be a treatment option for you. The rate of fibroids in Malaysia has been expanding over the past decade, with an increase in the number of myomectomies performed as well. The success rate of myomectomy in Malaysia is generally high, with numerous women experiencing relief from different symptoms, such as pelvic pain and heavy menstrual bleeding.
Apart from highly skilled surgeons and advanced medical facilities, the cost of fibroid removal surgery is much lower in Thailand than in other countries. The average cost is $2500 to $7500, and the final prices depend on various factors like the hospital’s location and the surgeon’s experience.
In this blog, we’ll give you all the necessary information needed to make an informed decision about the cost of fibroid removal surgery in Malaysia.
What is Fibroid Removal Surgery?
At least 25% to 50% of women with fibroids experience symptoms like heavy and prolonged menstrual bleeding, pelvic pain, and menstrual cramping. Medical professionals recommend surgery for these symptoms, usually at times when medications or other treatments do not control them.
Fibroid removal surgery is a medical procedure used to remove these fibroids from the uterus.
Why Choose Malaysia For Fibroid Removal Surgery?
Fibroid removal surgery is common in Malaysia, and there are various reasons why women worldwide choose Malaysia for their fibroid removal surgery.
- Skilled Surgeons: Malaysia is home to many highly skilled surgeons with extensive experience performing fibroid removal surgery with minimally invasive procedures, allowing patients to recover quickly.
- Advanced Medical Facilities: Malaysia has world-class medical facilities offering patients a comfortable, luxurious, and safe environment.
- Affordable cost: The cost of fibroid removal surgery in Malaysia is significantly less than in other countries, making it a cost-effective option for patients.
- Pre and Post-operative Care: Malaysia’s established healthcare system provides patients with excellent pre and post-operative care throughout their recovery.
Average Cost of Fibroid Removal Surgery in Malaysia
The average cost of fibroid removal surgery in Malaysia ranges from $2500 to $7500, which is much lower than in other countries like the US and UK.
This cost can vary on several factors, like the location of the hospital, the type of surgery, and the surgeon’s expertise.
What are the Factors Determining the Cost of Fibroid Removal Surgery?
- Type of Surgery: Myomectomy, hysterectomy, laparoscopic surgery, and robotic-assisted surgery are among the most common fibroid removal techniques offered in Malaysia. The kind of surgery done will affect how much the operation will cost.
- Location: Depending on the hospital’s location, the cost of fibroid removal surgery can change. Hospitals in bigger cities are often more expensive than those in rural areas and smaller towns. Accommodation charges are also higher in urban areas compared to rural areas.
- The surgeon’s expertise: The surgeon’s skill and expertise also affect how much a procedure costs. More experienced surgeons usually charge higher fees than less skilled ones.
- Type of Hospital: The facilities offered by the hospital significantly affect the total surgery cost. Hospitals with more advanced equipment and technology have higher charges. Also, private hospitals are more expensive than those run by the government.
- Pre-existing Conditions: Patients with pre-existing medical conditions may need additional tests or treatments before surgery, which could raise the overall cost of the procedure.
What are the Types of Fibroid Removal Surgery Available in Malaysia?
There are several types of fibroid removal surgeries available in Malaysia, including:
|Procedure||Recommended for||Average cost|
|Myomectomy||Women who want to preserve their fertility||$2400 to $4800|
|Hysterectomy||Women with large multiple fibroidsWomen who do not wish to conceive||$3600 to $7200|
|Laparoscopic myomectomy||Women with large multiple fibroidsWomen who want to preserve their fertility||$2500 to $4000|
|Hysteroscopic myomectomy||Women with submucosal fibroids causing heavy bleeding and infertility||$1500 to $3000|
Top 4 Gynecologists and Obstetricians in Malaysia
- Dr. Andy Low Kok Kwan: He is a well-known Gynaecologist and Obstetrician with 38+ years of rich experience. He has special interests in infertility treatment, fibroid removal surgery, polycystic ovary syndrome, and hysterectomy.
- Dr. Edmund Lai Sing Foo: He is a leading and talented Gynaecologist and Obstetrician with over 20 years of experience. His areas of specialization are minimally invasive surgery, laparoscopic hysterectomy, and menstrual problems.
- Dr. Hon Sook Kit: A renowned Obstetrician and Gynecologist with over two decades of experience. She has expertise in fetal medicine, infertility, fibroid removal surgery, myomectomy, and hysterectomy.
- Dr. Adzlina Jaaffar: He is an eminent Gynecologist who has been practicing for 22 years. She is known for her skills in laparoscopic myomectomy, laparoscopic ovarian cystectomy, and minimally invasive surgeries.
To conclude, fibroid removal surgery is a standard gynecological procedure widely performed in Malaysia at a lower cost than in other countries. Patients should research and compare hospitals, considering various factors such as the hospital’s accreditation, the surgeon’s skills and expertise, facilities and technology offered by the hospital, and ease of accommodation and travel.